Music by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

gettysburg

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mrs. Fitzgerald's Classroom


Abraham Lincoln's Health Facts

1. Abraham Lincoln's health was generally good into young adulthood.
2. Abe's vigorous health was promoted in the 1860 Presidential Campaign because of his image as a railsplitter.
3. It is believed that Abraham Lincoln had malaria-1835-this was the first time he was seriously ill.
4. Abraham Lincoln loved to eat fruit, especially apples.
5. Lincoln had small pox during the time he gave the Gettsyburg Address in 1863.
6. He was nearly drowned while living in Kentucky as a young boy and in 1818 was kicked in the head by a horse.
7. Lincoln suffered from depression and chronic physical fatigue.
8. Lincoln long suffered from constipation, he took medication for awhile, but quit because the medicine made him irritable and
unable to sleep.
9. Lincoln was 6 feet 4 inches tall.
10. After the Gettysburg Address the President returned to Washing ton where he was confined in bed for 3 weeks with variloid-a mild form of small pox.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I never knew that Abe almost drowned and was kicked in the head by a horse. Those were dangerous times.
    Mrs. Halbert's class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splitting wood like that is not easy work! It looks like the split wood was used to build fences. I'm trying to imagine how many days it would take to split enough wood to make one like the image shows. I see Lincoln brought a book along to read when he needed a break from his work. I gotta love the guy!

    Mr. King

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm sure that I will return to this post when I write my page about Abraham Lincoln for my site American History Fun Facts.

    Abe Lincoln has always been one of my favorite Presidents, and I always love learning new fun facts about him and others in American history.

    ReplyDelete